Last Updated: July 1st, 2023
We do not sell personal information of Children. We do not use or disclose information about Children (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to Children. We do not build personal profiles of children other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes.
We collect information that Users provide when using the Services, including when Educators sign up for Services.
· Educator Registration Information: We collect registration information, including name, email address, school affiliation and the grade level and names of classes Educators teach.
· Child Roster Information: We collect information the Educator provides to enable a Child’s use of the Amira App, including the Child’s first name and last name, school email address and password, school name, class name, grade level and local language (e.g. English). We may also collect the Child’s parent’s email address.
· Audio Recordings. When a Child interacts with the Amira App, we collect recordings of the Child’s voice. We retain recordings of the Child’s voice when collected from our in-school experience. These recordings enable our AI-driven algorithms to understand their reading strengths and areas where the child would benefit from more practice, evaluate their progress, and customize their experience. We also use these recordings to improve our AI models and the Amira App.
When Educators access or use the Amira App or our Services, we automatically collect certain information, including:
· Device and Log Information: We collect information about the device used to access the Amira App or our Services, including the hardware model and device type, unique device identifiers browser type, network information, operating system and version. We also use analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of the Amira App and our Services. This software may record information such as access times and frequency, activity within the Amira App or on our Services, and performance data such as crash reports.
· Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information from our Services, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on hard drives or in device memory that help us improve our Services and users’ experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
When Children access or use the learning portion of the Amira App, we automatically collect certain information, including:
· Amira App Activity Information: We collect information about a Child’s interactions with the Amira App, such as the stories the Child reads, where they tap, and their progress and choices within the Amira App. Our collection of this information through cookies and other tracking technologies (as defined above) is used only to support the internal operations of the Services.
We use information we collect from Educators to:
· Permit Educators to register for our Services;
· Send Educators technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
· Respond to Educators’ comments, questions and requests and provide customer support;
· Send Educators metrics and information about a Child’s reading progress through the in school application;
· Provide marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to Educators; and
· To measure the effectiveness of our advertising to Educators.
We use the information we collect from Children to:
· Personalize and improve a Children’s experience on the Amira App and provide content or features that match the Child’s reading level and interests, as well as to monitor trends, usage and activities, so that we can make the Amira App more helpful to all Children; and
· Track a Child’s reading progress and usage of the Amira App.
We use information collected from both Educators and Children to:
· Analyze, operate and improve our Services;
· Detect, protect against, and prevent security incidents and illegal or unauthorized activities, as well as investigate complaints and claims;
· Comply with applicable laws, legal processes or enforceable governmental requests, and defend against or pursue claims, disputes or litigation – in court or elsewhere; and
· Enforce our policies, terms and conditions, or other agreements.
We may share the information we collect from Educators as follows:
· With Educator consent or at the Educator’s direction.
· We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify any individual.
We may share the information we collect from Educators and Children as follows:
· In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
· If we believe Users’ actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Amira or others; and
We do not disclose the personal information of any Child to third parties for any marketing or promotional purposes.
We process your personal information as follows:
· To perform our contractual obligations in our Terms of Service or other contracts with you (such as to provide you the Service as described in our Terms of Service);
· With Educators’ prior consent, which may be withdrawn at any time (we use Educators’ quotes and testimonials for promotional purposes, or other purposes we obtain Educators’ consent for from time to time);
· When necessary to ensure compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject; and
· When necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, such as in improving, personalizing, and developing the Service, and for security purposes as described above.
If you have any questions about or would like further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us as provided under the Contact Us section.
In accordance with applicable privacy law, and depending upon the jurisdiction in which you reside, you may have the right to request to access, correct or delete your Personal Information or to request to opt-out of certain types of data practices. Eligible users can submit a request by completing our Privacy Rights Request Form or emailing us at email@example.com.
Please note that if you are a student who accesses the Services through a School, or the student’s parent or legal guardian, you must contact your School to submit a request to access, modify or delete your Personal Information. Please also review the Children’s Information and Educator Information sections below to learn more.
Educators are able to access and update their own personal information and the personal information of the Children for whom they are responsible at any time through their Amira user account. Unless otherwise required by law, any parent or guardian request to access, make changes to or delete their Child’s personal information must be directed to Educators who are designated administrators of school accounts. To make such requests, parents and guardians should follow their school’s procedures for managing their Child’s personal information under applicable law.
Please note that we may retain certain Educator information as permitted by law. We may also retain cached or archived copies of the information we collect for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about a Child’s reading progress, or about your subscription.
Phone: +1 (510) 858-2452, and
Mailing: 5214F Diamond Heights Blvd #3255 San Francisco, CA 94131.