Last Updated: November 12, 2020
We only collect personal information through the Amira App from a child under 13 in the following scenarios:
· The child’s school, school district, and/or teacher has agreed to obtain parental consent for that child to use the Amira App and allow us to collect personal information.
· A parent creates an account directly with Amira, downloads the Amira App, and enables their child to use the Amira App.
If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 13 without parental consent being obtained by the child’s school, school district, teacher, or directly from the parent, we will delete that information. If you believe that a child under 13 may have provided us with personal information in violation of this paragraph, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not collect, maintain, use or share personal information about children except as needed for authorized educational or school purposes, or as authorized by the child’s parent. We do not sell personal information of children. We do not use or disclose information about children (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to children. We do not build personal profiles of children other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or to enable a child’s interaction with the Amira App, under an account created and authorized by the parent.
Collection of Information
Information Provided to Us
We receive and store any information entered through the Amira App and the Services, including:
· From parents and educators, we collect registration information, including your name, email address, credit card information, school affiliation, and authentication tokens.
· From parents we collect information you provide to enable your child’s use of the Amira App, including the child’s first name and birth date.
· From educators, we collect information you share with us through the HMH rostering process, such as the grade level and names of classes you teach.
· When a child interacts with the Amira App, we collect and store recordings of the child’s voice. These recordings enable our AI-driven algorithms to understand their reading strengths and areas where the child would benefit from more practice, evaluate their progress, and customize their experience. We also use these recordings to improve our AI models and the Amira App.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use the Amira App or our Services, we automatically collect certain information, including:
· Amira App Activity Information: We collect information about a child’s interactions with the Amira App, such as the stories the child reads, where they tap, and their progress and choices within the Amira App.
· Device and Log Information: We collect information about the device used to access the Amira App or our Services, including the hardware model and device type, unique device identifiers browser type, network information, operating system and version. We also use analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of the Amira App and our Services. This software may record information such as access times and frequency, activity within the Amira App or on our services, and performance data such as crash reports.
· Transactional Information: When you purchase a subscription to the Amira App, we collect information about the transaction, such as subscription price and the date and location of the purchase.
· Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information from our Services, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on hard drives or in device memory that help us improve our Services and users’ experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below. For the Amira at-home app, we use Singular for ad tracking as well as Google, Facebook and Apple Software Development Kits to enable social log-in.
Use of Information
Subject to the limitations described in the above, information we collect to provide and improve the Amira App and our Services. We also use the information we collect to:
· Send parents metrics and information about their child’s reading progress for the Amira at-home application and send educators metrics and information for relevant students in the school application;
· Send parents and educators technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
· Respond to comments, questions and requests and provide customer support; and
· We use information automatically collected from the Amira App to personalize and improve a child’s experience on the Amira App and provide content or features that match the child’s reading level and interests, as well as to monitor trends, usage and activities, so that we can make the Amira App more helpful to all children.
Sharing of Information
We may share the information we collect as follows:
· In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
· If we believe users’ actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Amira or others;
· With your consent or at your direction, or with the consent of a child’s parent, as applicable. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify any individual.
Advertising and Analytics
We also work with third parties to serve ads to you aspart of customized campaigns on third-party platforms (such as Facebook and Instagram). As part of these ad campaigns, we or the third-party platforms may convert information about you, such as your email address and phone number, into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads
If you are the parent or guardian of a child under 13 and would like to request that personal information regarding your child be updated or deleted please contact us at email@example.com.
You may update, correct or delete account information, at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may retain certain information as permitted by law. We may also retain cached or archived copies of the information we collect for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of ourServices.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your child’s reading progress, or about your subscription.