District Rollout Plan - Amira Assessment
The purpose of this article is to provide district and school leaders with an outline of a rollout plan and district toolkit of resources for Amira Assessment. To learn more about a rollout plan for Amira Practice, read more here.
To learn the basics about Amira Assessment, review The Student Assessment Experience article for access to a guided demo, videos, screenshots, and other resources.
Collaboratively Create Goals
Our successful Amira pilots and customers frame their use and rollout in terms of broader district initiatives. Many schools and districts find that Amira fits within their curriculum, assessment, or personalized learning plans. Collaboratively designing goals for Amira use with staff and students around already existing systems in place often helps users better understand what's expected of them and how it fits into their learning pathway. Some examples of goals for Amira Assessment may be:
- Screen all students in K-3 for Dyslexia in order to mobilize multi-tiered systems of support for students and staff.
- Benchmark student mastery of early reading skills 3 times a year to make adjustments in professional learning plans, curriculum goals, and intervention supports.
- Increase reading achievement - as measured by WCPM or Accuracy % per student on benchmark or progress monitoring assessments.
- Improve teacher and family communication around literacy with the Parent or Progress reports (as measured by pre and post surveys, teacher logs, conferences, etc.).
Setup Rosters, Assessments, and Technology Readiness
Districts new to Amira will need to prepare technology and submit rosters to setup logins for staff and students.
- All HMH Customers will roster staff and students through Ed: Your Friend in Learning as early as August (International Customers use the Rostering Guide).
- To gain access to the Amira System Admin role (this role only has the ability to download CSV exports of data and setup benchmark cut-points) complete this form.
- To configure Amira Assessment for Screening and Benchmarking click here.
- Visit the IT Checklist article to prepare for on campus or distance learning use of technology with Amira.
COMMUNICATE & TRAIN
If you're new to launching Amira or new to technology rollouts in K-3, you may want to use a phased approach to your Amira implementation. Many districts find starting with Amira Practice first, prior to assessment, eases both staff and students into the technology. Many districts, most interested in Amira for screening and benchmarking purposes, also find doing a "dress rehearsal" to establish new assessment protocols for K-3 to be helpful. Some resources for these approaches are listed below:
- Provide staff with an overview video of what Amira is and customize a message describing how it will benefit the students they serve.
- Use resources from Amira to create your own training plan (webinars or this training deck), request training from your HMH representative, or connect with email@example.com.
- Create a proctoring or introductory presentation of Amira for teachers to use with their students (sample here)
- Send a message to families about how Amira will be used or how they can support Amira.
- Offer virtual learning opportunities for staff by leveraging Amira sponsored webinars.
- Use this editable letter template as a way to help update parents on how Amira will be used for Assessment.
- Leader Toolkit - Attendees of this webinar will receive all the resources they need to create their Amira Success Plan for the year. This webinar is facilitated as a 45 minute work session in that attendees will be making a copy of the slide deck (bit.ly/leadertoolkit20-21) for their own use, brainstorming goals, identifying support plan needs, and scheduling follow up tasks for setup and training. Recording available here.
- Teacher Toolkit - Attendees of this webinar will receive all the resources they need to launch Amira with students including resources to introduce Amira, troubleshooting tips for devices, best practices around video conferencing with Amira, and a preview of where to access reports. Deck and recording available.
- Data Dive for Practice - Attendees of this webinar will be able to access student session information after a student has worked with Amira Practice, review student usage, and analyze progress. Deck and recording available.
- Data Dive for Assessment - Attendees of this webinar will be able to access student session information after a student has worked with Amira Assessment, review assessment status to determine re-assess needs, and analyze performance. Deck and recording available.
Plan ahead for the support that staff will likely need to feel successful with Amira Assessment and/or Amira Practice. Brainstorm a plan (see template) for how the district or school will support the different types of questions stakeholders may have.
- Provide ongoing support (Support for Leaders, Support for Teachers, and Support for Families) and access to district specific FAQs (see sample).
District leaders can also access the tools above by school and class. Upon request, district Amira leads can access a Usage Report to evaluate school & classroom activity levels, discover areas of success to scale, and places where additional support may be needed.
Subject: Request for Usage Report - District Name
Message: In the next week, please email me our District Usage Report.
Subject: Request for Usage Review Meeting - District Name
Message: I'd like to schedule a 60 minute planning meeting to brainstorm ways to increase usage. Our team is available during these 3 dates and times next week.
Need additional help?
For questions about Amira, chat with us below or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.