Amira Student iPad Setup - ClassLink Launchpad
This article is intended to help you set up an iPad device so that students can access Amira via the ClassLink Launchpad.
The Amira teacher portal is currently available on Chromebooks, PCs and Mac devices. We recommend using any of our supported devices, noted in the Hardware - Computers, Network and Headsets article.
Follow these 5 steps before you start using Amira with students:
1. Update the ClassLink Launchpad to the newest version
Ensure that the ClassLink LaunchPad is updated to the most recent version. (Must be version 31.8.4 or later.)
2. Install Latest iOS Version
Amira performs best on an iPad that has the latest operating system, ideally iOS 13 or higher. To install iPadOS 13 or 14, make sure your device is plugged in and connected to the Internet with Wi-Fi. Then follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install.
3. Always Allow the Microphone
To avoid access issues, we encourage you to enable the Safari browser to Always Allow use of the microphone. To do this, change your system preferences to recognize your device’s internal microphone. The iPad will need to have iOS 13 or higher to be able to do this.
You can watch this video or follow these steps:
- Click the Settings icon on the desktop.
- Find Safari within the menu options along the left side of the screen.
- Click Clear History and Website Data > Clear
- Scroll down to "Settings for Websites" and click Microphone
- Choose Allow to allow the use of the microphone without permission every time you visit a website.
Microphone Setup on Safari
We recommend following the steps in the previous section to ensure that the mic is always enabled on an iPad. If you are unable to edit these settings, here’s some guidance on how to enable the microphone within the Safari browser.
First, Safari should ask for permission to access the microphone the first time you use Amira. When you visit the Amira website, you will see the following message:“Allow “www.amiratutor.com to use your microphone?” Click Allow.
If you begin using Amira and get an alert at the beginning of a session about enabling your microphone, follow these steps:
- Click the small red microphone icon in the browser address bar.
- In the pop up that appears, select “Always Allow on amiratutor.com"
4. Disable Pop-Up Blockers
Amira will open from Ed: Your Friend in Learning in a new tab in Safari. Because of this, it is essential that you disable the Safari pop-up blocker. To allow pop-ups: from Settings, go to Safari, find and toggle Block Pop-ups to off.
5. Disable Auto-Lock
Amira Practice has infrequent prompts for students to interact with the screen. As a result, the iPad may "go to sleep" if the auto-lock settings are not adjusted. To adjust the auto-lock timing: from Settings, go to Display & Brightness, find and tap Auto-Lock and choose 15 minutes. See this video.
Need additional help?
For questions about Amira, chat with us below!