Amira Rostering Guide
This article describes the Amira rostering process, the user roles available, username requirements, the file specifications for the Roster Template, and the timeline. As of July 15, 2020, if you are an HMH Customer (in the U.S.)*, you do NOT need to follow the roster process for staff and students as described below. HMH Customers (in the U.S.) will setup and manage staff and student rosters via Ed: Your Friend in Learning. For help with Ed rostering, contact HMH Technical Support via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *NOTE for HMH Customers - The only step an HMH customer needs to follow from this guide is to complete this form to grant System Admin access to one or more district users. Read below to learn more about the role of the System Admin for Amira.
Roster Process & Template
Amira uses spreadsheets to collect roster information. The Roster Template is provided to get you started. The template should be downloaded, edited, saved as a CSV file per school, and returned to Amira Support. View this video for additional tips.
The files can be submitted via email to email@example.com or via SFTP*.
- *To send rosters to sftp.amiralearning.com, email your public key to the Amira Support email listed above and secure access will be set up.
There are three roles you can create to access Amira. Each role is listed as a tab in the Roster Template linked above:
- System Admin - This role only has access to (1) customize testing windows to auto-assign all students their benchmark, create customized benchmark cut-points, and (3) download CSV files from Amira to retrieve assessment data from each testing window. Typically a district sets up only a handful of users with this role to monitor KPIs, school board goals, and to compile raw data from Amira with other indicators. This role does not have access to Amira Teacher Reports by class or student. Watch this video for a quick look at what a System Admin can access in Amira. Note: School-level admins can only be assigned to and access data for one school.
- Staff - This is the most common role assigned to classroom teachers, principals, special educators, coaches, and district leaders. A user with a staff role can see the Amira Reports (as shown in the image below). A user with this role can see one school at a time (there is no district option). Users with the staff role can be set up with one login (using their email) for the class(es) they have access or with multiple logins (modified email with a school abbreviation added) for multiple schools. Watch this video for a quick look at what a Staff (Teacher) role can access in Amira.
*NOTE for HMH Customers using ED for rostering - The role equivalent in ED would be a Teacher role (see Class information options to add Team Teachers to grant more users beyond the Lead Teacher with access to a class). Read more here.
- Students - This is the role given to all students. Students can only be rostered to one class.
Amira Username Requirement
Amira is a multi-tenant product, which means that all users go to a single URL ( www.amiratutor.com ) to access the product. This requires usernames to be unique across all Amira customers worldwide. The best method to ensure uniqueness is to use an email address as the username. Emails (which serve as the usernames) are required in the Staff and System Admin files.
Amira recognizes that younger students may require an easier solution, so if an email address is not available, we will add a 2-3 character prefix to the beginning of school-provided usernames in order to ensure that usernames are unique across Amira’s customer base.
The Roster Template lists the data requirements for each column. The file specifications are summarized below:
System Admin File (one per district)
- 6 column CSV file - First Name, Last Name, Email, Password, District / School, School Name
Staff File (one per school)
- 5 column CSV file - First Name, Last Name, Email, Password, Class Name
Student File (one per school)
- 6 column CSV file - First Name, Last Name, Username, Password, Class Name, Grade Name
- Email serves as the username for Staff and System Admin. A user listed in the Staff file(s) can have a modified email (username) to keep it unique. Emails (usernames) are case sensitive.
- Passwords are case sensitive and must be at least 6 characters.
- Usernames are case sensitive. For students we highly recommend short usernames (we will add a three character prefix) and lowercase letters.
- Class Names must match across the Staff and Student files per school.
- Grade Names must match the text values: Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade, and Third Grade.
TIP - Class rosters are limited to 40 students. If an educator’s class exceeds 40 students, split students across multiple classes by using a logical division that makes sense for your school.
- Example – Thomas AM-1 and Thomas AM-2.
Initial rostering and roster updates can take up to 6 business days to process, so please plan accordingly. Most districts that have successful Amira rollouts provide rosters to Amira 2-3 weeks ahead of their planned training date. This allows time to assist you with correcting the files, processing time, and testing of logins and device readiness by your district/site teams.
Need additional help?
For questions about Amira, chat with us below!