Amira Chromebook Setup
This article is intended to help you set up a Chromebook so that students can access Amira.
Follow these 5 steps before you start using Amira with students:
1. Install Latest Chrome Version
Amira performs best on a Chromebook that has the latest browser. Amira will display correctly on Chrome version 60+. To check your browser version and confirm if it is up-to-date, visit https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/
For help updating your browser, visit the Google Chrome Support site here.
2. Always Allow the Microphone
Your browser should ask for permission to access the microphone the first time you use Amira. You should only need to give Amira permission once.
When you visit www.amiratutor.com and you see the following message, click Allow.
If you do not get a prompt to enable your microphone, or you begin using Amira and get an alert at the beginning of a session about enabling your microphone, follow these steps:
- Start by clicking the small microphone icon (with a red X) in the browser address bar.
- In the pop up that appears, select “Always allow https://www.amiratutor.com to access your microphone.”
- Click Done.
If no microphone displays, you may need to adjust your system settings to recognize a microphone (external or internal). Find more information in the Chrome Microphone Support Documentation.
3. Disable Pop-Up Blockers
Amira will open from Ed: Your Friend in Learning in a new tab in Safari. Because of this, it is essential that you disable the pop-up blocker.
1. Visit the Chrome settings.
2. Within Privacy and Security section, click Site Settings.
3. Click Pop-ups and redirects. At the top, turn the setting to Allowed.
Need additional help?
For questions about Amira, chat with us below!